Wednesday, September 04, 2013

One Foot in the Light and the Other in the Dark

Graffiti of 2PAC in Ipanema, Rio De Janeiro.
Photo Credit: Mary C. Salome/Wikipedia
"Perhaps I was addicted to the dark side / Somewhere inside my childhood I missed my heart die ... / Remember me, as an outcast outlaw / Another album out that's what I'm about, more / Gettin raw till the day I see my casket / Buried as a g while the whole world remembers me / Until the end of time ..." -- Tupac Shakur, Until the End of Time

A spirituality that does not embrace the shadow is a feeble, stunted thing.

Walk with one foot in the light and the other in the dark; you will need both to journey into the wilderness of truth and beauty.

The Yin and the Yang flow into and out of each other, they cannot be siphoned off and separated, together they shape the circle of life. Evil is that which has fallen outside the circle of life; it is not dark, it is not Yin (and it typically disguises itself as "light" anyway).

A spirituality that does not embrace the shadow is a feeble, stunted thing.

Walk with one foot in the light and the other in the dark; you will need both to journey into the wilderness of truth and beauty.


-- Richard Power

Power's eighth book,  Humanifesto: A Guide to Primal Reality in an Era of Global Peril , is available now in soft cover and Kindle versions, from Amazon and elsewhere.